Monday, August 5, 2013

The art of Amigurumi and how I fell in love with it.

When I was 9 "ish" an elderly woman from my church introduced me to the art of crocheting. Her name was Ms. Bette and since then she has gone to be with the Lord. Every week my mom would take us girls up to church for "crochet class". Several other families came and it was great. I will never forget her and the fun she made crocheting. She is definitely where my love for it began.  

Most of my early projects consisted of washcloths, washcloths, and… More washcloths! Oh, and I also attempted a few Single Crochet blankets. Those were horrible... Plus lots of yarn pompoms to throw at my sisters! Over time, my crocheting days began to fade. After all, there are only so many washcloths you can make. I picked it back up off and on and tried my hand at various 2D patterns. 

But then, Nathan's birthday was coming up. This was before we were together and I really wanted to do something he would love! I knew that he really liked penguins, so I started searching. And I found the cutest Amigurumi Penguin pattern ever! It was perfect. I had never really learned how to read a pattern and I had no clue what Amigurumi was, but I tried. Google and YouTube are the best teachers ever. ;) (If you haven't noticed, Google is my friend. =) ) It worked, because Nathan loved it!

Nathan's penguin =) Looking back I can tell I have improved ;)
I haven’t looked back since. I have fallen in love with all of the cute creatures Amigurumi produces. Many have become presents for young children and some have even been more presents for Nathan, like a cute Thor! 

Isn't he handsome ;)
Through online resources (again, Google ;) ), a few home-school co-op classes, and a great book, I have completed dozens of patterns. Finally, I felt that I had enough experience to try my hand at creating an Amigurumi pattern. And Zoottles were born. Writing the patterns have been quite an undertaking, but also one of the biggest thrills of my life! I'll have to go into that another time =)

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Love my gifts! Especially Thor! Glad you got inspired to make amigurumi!

    ReplyDelete

It would be a joy to hear from you, dear readers! I will do my best to comment back on the blog, or if your email is there I'll respond to you that way; either one! So, what are your thoughts?